The Administrator Certificate Template could not be loaded. Element not found.

  • From: "Donavon Yelton" <dyelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:32:14 -0400

I have two domain controllers.  Our primary is Windows 2003SP1 and the
other is Windows 2000SP4.  All primary roles, FSMO, etc. are on the 2003
DC.  Our Enterprise CA is on our Exchange 2003SP1 server running Windows
2003SP1.  My problem is that I'm now logging event ID 77 warnings from
CertSvc in the event log.  Here is an example:

" The "Windows default" Policy Module logged the following warning: The
Administrator Certificate Template could not be loaded. Element not
found. 0x80070490 (WIN32: 1168). "

Microsoft has a KB article but has no information on this other than the
error itself:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283218

I'm at a loss of what to do as there seems to be little to no
information on the web on how to remedy this problem.  If I open up the
the CA MMC on the CA server it shows my primary domain controller as
failing to obtain a certificate.  Reason given is "The requested
certificate template is not supported by this CA.
0x80094800(-2146875392)."  This is causing (I'm assuming) a problem
where the Exchange server can no longer obtain information from the DC
and prevents users from opening their exchange account.  If I manually
request an Administrative certificate on the DC it tells me that my
certificate request was denied.  Any help would be appreciated.

Donavon Yelton