Re: Testing Exchange Restore procedures.

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:09:53 -0500

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:33:50 -0900, Tim Jordan <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> I have yet to encounter a failure with one of my Exchange servers.  I
> know the day is coming!

I am in the same boat. Although, I have tested lots of backups in a
controlled environment, I haven't had a real unintentional failure.

> I'm hoping someone can suggest a good way to get comfortable with
> restoring Exchange.  I don't have much of a test environment so I'm not
> sure how to proceed.

I have setup two workstations with a couple of HD's in them, installed
Exchange, and now I am in the process of trashing (deleting MDBDATA,
logs, Exchange itself, AD, etc.)  the Exchange data and then restoring
it.

As for Server 2003, I have several references, but here is the one I
am currently referencing:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/DROpsGuide/321d275e-1a79-4cc0-972a-de757b7a2e1c.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/events/exchange2003/tnt1-101.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/operations.mspx