Temporarily disabling user access during migration

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:06:47 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I am migrating a few hubdred users from one exchange server to another
over the coming weekend and the process is expected to take many hours
because of the size of the PST files.

What are your suggestions on ensring that users are not able to access the
Exchange server during this 2-day period (we will tell them not to access
the server but of course, there will always be those few users who will
get in there anyway of they find the exchange server is available).  At
the same time we want to be able to complete the Exmerge import of the PST
files, and do some testing with a handful of selected users so that they
can connect via Outlook, check their profiles, mailboxes, folders etc.,
also OWA, so simply disconnecting the exchange server from the network is
not feasible.

Any suggstions or best practices for this situation?

TIA!

Mike