Re: Telnet Issues

  • From: "Taylor, George" <gtaylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:48:47 -0700

Run through some basic troubleshooting.  Don't run telnet from the run
box, any message that shows up you won't see, instead run it from a
command line, that way the box stays open and you'll see any error
messages, like "server not found","connection refused", etc..

On your Exchange server go to computer management and services, is the
SMTP service started?  If not, tell it to start and see what message
pops up, might be a rights/logon issue.

Is there a firewall or router between you and the Exchange server?  If
so make sure port 25 isn't blocked.  Get on the Exchange server console
and "telnet 127.0.0.1 25" and see how that works, if that works you
could be looking at a DNS problem.

George Taylor
Systems Programmer
Regional Health Inc.