[ExchangeList] System attendant will not start on cluster node

  • From: victor-w@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:26:44 +0200

-------------------------------------------------------Dear All,

We have an Exchange 5.5 cluster.
We cannot fail over to one of the nodes because the system attendant
will not start on that node. We are getting the following error:

eventid 1005 from MSExchangeSA: Unexpected error An unexpected, unknown
error has occurred. MAPI or an unspecified service provider. ID no:
80040605-0000-00000000 occurred.

We cannot seem to fix this and have tried several things like:

- reset the password on the system attendant service.
- set logon of the sa to use the local system account.
- un- and reregisterd cdo.dll
- evicted the node from the cluster, reinstalled the cluster service
and added it back to the cluster.

We wanted to re-apply SP4 of Exchange 5.5. to the damaged note but we
aren't able to.
When we try to do so we get an error; WinNT file missing.

This is probably because you can only apply a Service Pack to a node
which is active at that moment.

We believe that probably re-applying SP4 of Exchange will probably do
the trick but how can we apply it to a node when the system attendant
of that node will not start.

Has anybody got an idea how we can solve this issue without having to
reinstall Exchange 5.5 completely?

All sugestions are greatly appreciated.
MSExchange Articles and Tutorials: