RE: System Requirements

  • From: Greg Hermida <ghermida@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:23:24 -0500

Scott-

Just from personal experience:
1-At least 2 gigs of RAM
2-Dual processors
3-Mirrored drives, OS, Pub, & logs on one set.  Priv on the other set.  I
understand that this is debatable, but I have been very happy with the
performance.
4-DB size is critical so if you're running standard Exchange, the drive set
(Raid 1 or otherwise) for the Priv should at least be 36 gigs in size so you
can do an offline defrag if necessary.

Current Dell 2500's are pretty good if you are familiar with Dell's.
Minimum Processor speeds, L2 cache, & FSB speeds are more than adequate for
an Exchange server with 160 users.

5-Even if you do get permission to lock down end user mailboxes in terms of
size, I'd still try to persuade your client to go with the Enterprise
version of Exchange.  But I know that budgeting will play a big role in
their decision making process.

Greg