Strange unknown recipient question

  • From: "Spencer Read" <spencer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:20:27 -0000

Hello all,

I'm trying to solve an issue and have drawn a blank on google and the
archives - I'm now hoping for a bit of direction.

Exchange 2K on Windows 2000 SP4 - current email domain name
'mydomain.demon.co.uk'
All email is collected from a demon pop3 mailbox by Vpop3 and forwarded to
the Exchange server and all was happy until the owner of the company decided
he wants to use mydomain.co.uk as their primary address - easy I hear you
say, but there's more!

mydomain.co.uk is a company of many offices and I don't control the MX
records or anything like that.
The person who controls that has got forwarding set up from
user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for my office only(20
users).

When I change the primary address in recipient policy, and try and send a
mail to user2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx who is not a user on my exchange server, I get
the usual 'Unknown recipient' error message. Temporarily, I have added a
second SMTP address in recipient policy to accept incoming mail to the new
email address - but are still sending on the old address.

My question to you all is how can I forward messages for unknown local
recipients to the internet rather than the postmaster?
They will then get routed correctly to their destination.

I hope this is clear

...Spence