Strange Problem on my Win2k svr

  • From: Naboth Semwayo <naboths@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 19:48:03 +0200

Hi Guys

I hope you can help me with this one because I dont know what else to do and
am under serious pressure to produce results.

I have a win2k svr - sp4 running exchange 5.5 also sp4. The problem has
three main symptoms:

1) after some time of operation if I go to the event viewer, double click on
one of the events nothing happens. I can try this for other logs e.g system
+ app log but nothing happens. When I then try and close the event viewer I
get a message that I cant close the program before I close all the open
property pages. But there are no pages open.

2) We are on a dial on demand connection. When I double click the dial up
status icon on the task bar it doesnt respond. Also when I double click the
dial up short cut on my desktop it doesnt respond either. My connection
becomes "stale" and I have no traffic coming in or going out. I cant also at
this time access the network and dial up connections option.

3) The clients lose their network connection to the server.

Eventually I have to restart and everything goes back to normal for a while
until this starts again. I have consultants in today who condemned my DNS
and WINS. They went ahead and rebuilt these but hours after they left the
same thing occurred.

I am now in the process of getting the latest OS patches via the windows
update site. I dont know if this will help however.

Can anyone assist???

Naboth