Strange Mail Problems with SBS 2003

  • From: "Technical" <tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:53:22 +0100

Hi All

I am having lots of strange problems with mail on SBS 2003.

These include:

1) Activesync not working against the server

2) Outlook Web Mail not working on any client other running it on the
server.

3) Outlook 2003 users (randomly) being unable to send mail to each other
with the error "You do not have permission to send to this recipient" These
mails are mainly internal to internal.

When the server was sent up by the consultants the domain was set as
local.johnsmithcompany.co.uk where as all email addresses are actually
jsmith.eu.com.

The users email addresses are firstname.surname@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and their
logins are initialsurname.

So the server name is server.local.johnsmithcompany.co.uk

user email addresses are john.doe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (johnsmithcompany.co.uk is
not used anywhere and does not exist)

Could all these problems be caused by this mismatch between domain names????

My gut feel is to reinstall the server using the correct domain etc...

Any thoughts (including a large hammer) welcomed.

A very frustrated administrator.