RE: Soka|Exchange Archive vendor|Feedback

  • From: "Robert Lawson" <rlawson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:52:54 -0700

Hi Boris,
  I've attached feedback from another forum by Veritas user.  Have you had
similar experience?
Thanks, Robert
We use Enterprise Vault.  We started with our own staff and one other area.  We
hoped that we would not need to train staff in its use, but it's become
apparent that unless people have a reasonable idea of how it works, they do not
get maximum benefit from it.  I now don't give it unless people have had a chat
with support personnel who can explain to them how it works.  This means that
the roll-out to the rest of the University is very slow.

The issues are:

Most people have set up a folder structure in their PST files.  They need the
folder structure to be in the inbox.
They need to accept an expiry date for the messages (we are looking at 5 years).
If they use the normal delete button in Outlook it only deletes the shortcut,
not the original item.  This can leave them with items in the vault which they
cannot see in Outlook,  only if they do a special vault search.  This is
confusing for them.
They cannot see how much they have stored in the vault, so they cannot tell
when they are reaching their quota limit.  I'm relaxed about increasing quotas,
these are really only there so I can track unattended mailboxes, the problem is
that the users just think it has stopped working.
Outlook searches can't access vaulted content, so are not as effective as they
should be (a particular issue with Outlook 2003 search folders).  The vault has
a good search mechanism, but it means 2 searches instead of one.

Having said that, I haven't used pst files since we have had the product (2
years) and wouldn't be without it.