RE: SoBIG

  • From: "Mike Liddekee" <mliddekee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:31:15 -0500

It's not that you or your email server is sending these emails. Someone
that has your email address or address for person(s) in your
organization has the virus.  Viruses like SoBig fake the return headers
so it appears to come from someone else.  When a server gets an email
that either has a virus attached (or in your case to a person that's no
longer there), it may send a reply to the users listed in the return
path of the message, which in this case is fake and inaccurate.  If
you're protected on all fronts then I wouldn't wortty about getting
these types of messages.  I usually get 4 or 5 a day myself.  Until the
day that we have no viruses (or hell freezes over), you will probably
always get stuff like this.

Regards,

Mike Liddekee

Network Engineer