[ExchangeList] Re: Smart Phones

  • From: Mathieu CHATEAU <gollum123@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 20:50:11 +0200

http://www.msexchange.org -------------------------------------------------------

Hello Evan,

to start with, my goal is NOT to make a troll.

BES agent make 4 mapi connection per blackberry. The more you have blackberry...

BES account have full access to all mailboxes. If it's cracked or virus coming in...

We have setup full WM5 devices. Things i didn't know before:

-Godaddy certificate (30$) is working directly with WM5 that have the security pack (no certificate install on device)

-You can enforce password policy through ESM with device wipe after X attempt.

-You can remote wipe a WM5 device from exchange (through the MobileAdmin website)

-Direct SSL access to exchange FE (isa in reverse proxy before).

-the main advantage is that can you freely choose your smartphone and operator.

-Above all, you can and have to choose your form factor. This is the success key. Many users want

the best one (mean the more expensive one), but this model are often not adapted.

In our company, most users have choosen the biggest one with keyboard, even if we let them choose

between 3 form factor (phone with WM5, pda look like (no keyboard), and the Qtek wih slide keyboard).

We should have enforce their choice...

Anyway which mobile solution you choose:

Training, training, training. Start with your own staff, they must have deep knowledge about it.

The success things:

-Migrate their contact from the old phone. This means SIM and phone contacts.

-Explain clearly the peak hours useness.

-Explain bluetooth eat battery.

-Give them the phone, make them answer a test call. Not just the answering thing but the real life thing:

-Mute sound

-Handfree button

-search contact while on the phone

-look agenda while on the phone

hope it helps,

Regards,

Mathieu CHATEAU

http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com

You need to upgrade your BES.  4.x offers full wireless sync.  I don't have a single user who has to cradle any more.

I'm also offering support for Windows Mobile 5.0 devices, doesn't matter which kind, as long as it can be upgraded to support DirectPush.

BES is better then all of them IMO. It offers bertter management and more security and policy enforcement then anyone else.  You don't have to install special software on the handhelds either and deal with those issues.  The phones aren't as "cool", but this is for business.  Cool isn't a concern, reliability, security, and support are the concerns.