RE: Slow Brick Level Backup

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:21:18 -0500

I run into this sort of thing all the time.  You need to convince your boss
you want to concentrate on the GOAL, not the method.

Your don't mention what version of Exchange, but Ex2003 gives you better
flexibility due to the recovery store being available, so you can do a
restore much easier than in the past.

Sonny's suggestion makes the most sense if you ask me.  You need the Ed
Crowley ? no restore method of Exchange Administration.  In a nutshell, this
translates to setting your deleted item retention to the email retention
policy of the company.  Then on your system, throw the flag for Outlook
(it's a reg key, but I don't recall it right now) to allow you to see the
dumpster contents under each folder rather than just under the deleted items
folder.  This allows for recovery of items that hit the dumpster without
reaching deleted items (through a rule, or mailbox cleanup, or whatever).

See
http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=10
00&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1009&sectionName=The%20Ed%20Crowley%20Ne
ver%20Restore%20Method for more information

Rick