Slightly OT - Common Stationery in Outlook 2003

  • From: "Jason Merrique" <j.merrique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 00:14:43 -0000

Hi All,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question but here goes
anyway:

Our company would like to standardise the format of all outgoing email
(html, 10pt Verdana). Now the easiest way, as far as I can see to do
this is to define a common company stationery, that everyone would use,
distribute it using the logon script and enable it with a GPO. This is
how I plan to do it:

*       Create new html stationery (defines body, headings, link styles
etc... with CSS)
*       Copy the common stationery file to a server share
*       Add line to logon script to copy the file from the server share
to "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Stationery"
*       Create adm file which sets a registry key something like this:

________________________________

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-861567501-1580818891-854245398-1622\Software\Micros
oft\Office\11.0\Common\MailSettings]
        "NewStationery"=hex(2):4a,00,61,00,73,00,6f,00,6e,00,00,00
________________________________

        This registry setting gives the name of the stationery to be
used for new messages.
*       Then to make sure that the user is using HTML for new mail, I
enable the appropriate GPO entry.

My questions:

1.      Is this the most efficient way to standardise outgoing company
email, or does Exchange/Outlook provide this function already?
2.      Is it wise to use CSS in the manner - should I try to avoid
going nuts and adding things like layers?

N.B.
This is only for new messages - replies will be in the same format as
the original message to avoid annoying pine users!
And I would not be adding any ghastly background pictures or decorations
- it will essentially just be the font settings and the disclaimer.

Your thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Jason