Size of database seems to be really large for Number of users

  • From: "Byron Kendrick" <bkendrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:33:00 -0700

We currently have a database in excess of 23 GB on our W2k3 Exchange
server.  I see there are a lot of mailboxes with a lot of mail but the
total doesn't seem to add up to 23 GB.  The queues don't seem to be
building up either.  These users were brought over from our 5.5 server
that contained over 450 mailboxes with a 16 GB limit.  Granted we did move
a lot of the larger mailboxes to the new W2k3 server but, come on, 23 GB.
What would cause this difference in size.  I have not done an off line
defrag yet but I can and will if I need to.  Also what is the function of
the priv1.stm file?  I understand it is like a database too.  Will it
shrink if I do an offline defrag on the priv1.edb?