RE: Single Outgoing Internet SMTP Server

  • From: "Taylor, George" <gtaylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:07:00 -0700

Each routing group in your enterprise will have an Internet Mail
Connector running on a specific server.  Using ESM go to your routing
group and on the General tab of the Internet Mail Service (servername)
there is a tick box to "Forward all mail through this connector to the
following smart hosts" and give it the IP(s) of your Smart Hosts.  The
Smart Hosts can be any type of SMTP box, Exchange, *nix, ZIX, you name
it.  I believe this is what your looking for.

From what I remember reading when setting up our Zix servers a couple
years ago, if you have more than one IP listed in that field it will
attempt a "round Robin" while sending.  Looking at outgoing logs it
seems that one of the Zix servers is busier than the other, so it may
not be a true round robin, rather may have a busy timeout on it.

George Taylor
Systems Programmer
Regional Health Inc.

  _____