RE: Service pack 3 for Windows 2000

  • From: "Mark Dewell" <M.Dewell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:49:42 +0100

I too am having problems with Exchange 2000 SP3.

We have successfully updated a front end server and one of our back end
servers (which has no live mailboxes on it - because it is intended as
replacement for existing server and we have yet to migrate any users).

I have just applied SP3 to a second back end server which has several live
mail stores (some up to and now any attempt to mount the mail stores fails
with error 505
"Information Store (1472) An attempt to open the compressed file
"D:\Exchsrvr\West Ham Staff SG\West Ham SS Staff.edb" for read / write access
failed because it could not be converted to a normal file.  The open file
operation will fail with error -4005 (0xfffff05b).  To prevent this error in
the future you can manually decompress the file and change the compression
state of the containing folder to uncompressed.  Writing to this file when it
is compressed is not supported. "

Any attempts to run ESEUTIL /P returns a 'JET_errFileCompressed' error.

Checking the headers with ESEUTIL /MH shows both the .edb and .stm files were
a clean shutdown

Unless anyone has any suggestions, it looks like we will be rolling back to
SP2 (which presumable means restoring the file system from tape - hopefully
our mail stores will then mount without also needing a restore from tape).

---<  Mark Dewell, University of East London, Dagenham, Essex, UK  >---
---<  Email        : M.Dewell@xxxxxxxxx                            >---

< Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty (Anne Herbert) >