RE: Server migration - information requested

  • From: "Sarbjit Singh Gill" <ssgill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:44:12 +0800

Install Windows 2000 and join existing domain. Install exchange 2000 after
that and join existing Org and Administrative group of the existing server.

You could then easily move mailboxes (Exchange Task), move public folder,
system folders (pfmigrate) and move services like SMTP (just a simple
re-configure of the connectors.

When you done, leave both servers running and make sure no email related
traffic is going to the old server.

Uninstall exchange 2000 on the old server and dis-join from the domain.

Now you could de-commission the old server.

NOTE: This is a high level overview server migration for the scenarios you
described. You still need to have detailed information for each step. Look
out for KB and of course msexchange.org

/Gill