RE: Sending out an email to anonymous users

  • From: "Aber Whitcomb" <aber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:33:22 -0800

The header of the email really doesn't mean much, it's just plain text.  In
SMTP, the MTA decides where the email is going when it talks to the remote MTA.
 The header is in the DATA portion of the email and doesn't even need to have
the email address of the user the email is destined to.  So, the answer is yes,
it's possible and very easy to do.

Do a dig or nslookup on the domain of the user you think this email was sent
from to get the mx record of that host.  Then scan your logs for that IP
address and see if you can track down the conversation between the two mail
servers.