RE: Secure OWA publishing

  • From: Christian Ramsammy <c_ramsammy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ExchangeList\]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:52:38 -0800 (PST)

"Create a certificate for your SSL connections (RickBoza)"

How is an SSL certificate created, can it be done on Windows 2000?

Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.MSExchange.org/
Actually, OWA and RPC/HTTP solve two different business challenges.

OWA is strictly from a web browser and doesn?t involve RPC from the client.
This is ideal from home systems as well as shared systems ? an airport kiosk,
for example.

RPC/HTTP on the other hand is for communications between Outlook 2003 and
Exchange 2003 via a secure connection.

You?re on the money as far as needing to either buy or create a certificate for
your SSL connections ? in both cases this is the only way to go (technically
not, but it would be incredibly foolish not to do so).

If you publish your own cert (from Windows 2003, for example) you can use a GPO
to set all your systems to trust the issuing CA ? so your laptop users (for
example) would automatically accept it.  Your home users would need to add it
as a trusted root or accept the certificate every time they hit OWA.

On 11/20/04 9:30 AM, "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.MSExchange.org/
The best was of publishing OWA that I have seen thus far is RPC over HTTPS. Yes
you will have to either buy a subscription of SSL or create your own which
people from your company will have to accept once if they use connect from home
or from their notebook.

Andrew