RE: Secondary exchange server and automatic spooling

  • From: Jabber Wock <jabberwock99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:44:57 -0400

Hi Michael,

 You've also got some misunderstandings how OSTs work. If you connect a
> profile to another server, a new OST will be created.

Good point ... thanks for the clarification.

>  I think you need to take a step back and take a look at your solution
> from a fresh perspective. Examine NeverFail and DoubleTake and MessageOne
> (there are other players in this space, but those are probably the big
> names).

 Actually I considered those apps. and I do not need them. I am not trying
to maintain an up-to-date live replica of my primary Echange server, on the
backup Exchange server. During normal operation, the backup Exchange server
will be "empty", not receiving or sending anything, nor being quietly
duplicated.
 When the primary fails, email will start arriving at the backup mailserver
(because in the DNS it is set up as a secondary MX). However instead of
being a traditional "store and foreward" secondary MX, this backup
mailserver will have live accounts already pre-configured so users will be
able to connect their standby profiles (or switch to their live profile to
this backup) and will see their newly arrived emails, and will be able to
send emails, and use OWA etc. until the main server comes back on line
again. There is no requirement that the backup server keep itself sync'd up
in preparation for the disaster (yes I know that sounds strange but thats
the spec). Hence no need for neverfail etc. Yes the backup server will not
have historical data but apparently that is OK.
 But what is needed is the ability to flush all incoming email that has
accumulated in each inbox, to the corresponding mailbox on teh main server,
when the mailserver comes back on line.
 JW