Second Exchange server as Internet Mail Connector

  • From: "AndyM" <andy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 03:40:49 -0700

My name?s Andy and I was wondering if you could give me some help I have
with the Internet mail. I have two Exchange servers 5.5. The one with the
mailboxes is behind the firewall and the other one has only IMC.

At the external server I have reroute all incoming SMTP to the internal
domain which I have declared it in a host file. Next at the internal
server I have IMC installed and have declared my real domain as inbound
and all mails to internal domain to be routed to the real domain name.
Moreover in the Routing Restrictions I have left it empty.

The problems now I have are:

Open relay, I had tried to put at the Routing Restrictions my internal Lan
IPs at the ?Host and Clients with these IP addresses? but then I didn?t
have mail at all.
The mails at the external server stay long time before they arrive at the
internal server and the recipient finally. As I saw in the Queue it tries
to find the recipient but it cannot find it immediately but after a lot of
Can I accelerate the speed of an incoming or an outgoing mail sitting in
the queue besides pressing the ?Retry now ? button which in my case does
not speed up anything?