RE: Schedule incoming external mail

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:25:29 -0700

1. You need to use software that will not only simply check to see if a
message is infected, but also to then apply policy, such as banning
potentially malicious files, such as exe and bat and scr and cmd and so
forth. If you are also using ISA server, you can do this with the message
screener.

2. The last couple of major outbreaks began in earnest around mid-early to
mid morning PDT, thus your idea would have done absolutely nothing. (Well,
maybe since you are down under, but you get the idea.) What about the
viruses that start in earnest on Sunday night US which would be Monday
morning on the south side of the planet?

3. You mentioned third party. Yes, there are third parties that can act as
the gateway or otherwise known as a front door (not to be confused with a
front end) that can do all scanning with multiple AV scanners AND protect
against potentially malicious files as well as Outlook Vulnerabilities. You
do not hear too much about that, but Outlook Vulnerabilities can be used to
hide or otherwise full Outlook.

Much to Steve's chagrin, you can contact me off list for more information on
third party services. ;)

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You