RE: Schedule incoming external mail

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:44:46 -0400

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:07:34 -0600, jh <jthart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Mark, thanks for your reply.
>
> I totally agree - this is not an effective means of antivirus protection,
> its placement would only be a means of reducing exposure.  We run two
> layers of antivirus (with the third in the pipeline) but it's all
> meaningless if there is no pattern update, isn't it.  Someone has to be
> hit by the virus first in order for the antivirus companies to fix it.  I
> congratulate you on your good fortune in not being hit, and I hope your
> luck continues.  We have been caught once by an email virus (about 4 years
> ago, which inspired additional antivirus measures) and, for me, once was
> quite enough.
>
> I'm not an Exchange aficionado and I'd be interested in any other options,
> either built-in or third party that may be available.

Do not stop your email services just to prevent viruses at night. Set
things up right and keeping mail flowing.

It's all about layers...

Here is my configuration at work:

Internet

Firewall w/ HTTP, POP3, SMTP, IMAP4, & FTP Anti-Virus Scanning, &
attachment blocking

OpenBSD server with Postfix & attachment blocking (might put on free
AV at some point too :)

| Transported via SMTP
Exchange 2003 Server with TrendMicro ScanMail, locked down to the nuts

TrendMicro OfficeScan and Outlook 2003 with HTML stripped & built-in
attachment blocking on the workstations

User training: not to open unexpected or odd attachments (all
executable attachments are blocked anyway, so we don't leave much for
the users to decide on)

Funny enough, it works like a charm, and was not expensive to implement.

SPAM wise, we are getting protection from TrendMicro's ScanMail (does
a really nice job), Postfix (best MTA IMO), and our Fortigate
(www.fortinet.com) AV firewall.

...D