[ExchangeList] SMTP server FQDN

  • From: "Jensen, Douglas" <douglas.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:36:37 -0500

KB article 843106 says
6.       Verify that value that is listed in the Fully-qualified domain
name box is the actual FQDN of the server.
I am unsure if this actual FQDN should be the local name or the name
that the server is advertised as in the MX record for the external
domain.

If we have a local domain (mydomain.local) with a exchange server named
mailserver and a external domain (ourcompany.com) and that external
domain lists the MX record as mail.ourcompany.com.

The internal FQDN for this server is mailserver.mydomain.local and the
external FQDN for the server is mail.ourcompany.com.  Which name should
be put in the SMPT server dialog box?

I found this on the Experts Exchange web site and it seems to say that
one should use the local FQDN and not the internet FQDN. This seems to
be a different suggestion than what people said on this list earlier
this month.
We have an internal and an external domain, with internal and external
IP addresses. My e-mail recipients see my internal domain name and my
internal IP address for my mail server, which cannot be resolved by DNS
to my public domain of blueridgepro.com.

How do I set my Microsoft Exchange Server box so the outside world sees
my public IP address and domain name, but not my internal data?

This question posed on 01 April 2006
You could change the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) sent by Exchange
Server from SMTP Virtual Server properties to match the public FQDN, but
it isn't recommended and it isn't a complete solution -- the Message-ID
will continue to have the actual FQDN.

Exchange Server does not have any native tools to rewrite SMTP headers.
You may have to look into third-party tools like MailSweeper that do
this, or code something yourself to run on your SMTP gateway

Thanks
Douglas Jensen
Douglas.Jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Douglas.Jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Voice (952) 402-9821
Fax (952) 402-9815
Network Administrator
Scott Carver Dakota CAP Agency, Inc.
712 Canterbury Road
Shakopee, MN 55379
www.capagency.org
<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/djensen.SCDCAP/Application%20Data
/Microsoft/Signatures/www.capagency.org>