SMTP relay problem

  • From: Praveen Ramaswamy <ramaswamy_praveen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:36:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Can you please let me know the result of these settings mentioned below: I
think it is not working the way it is supposed to.

Settings done:

On the SMTP virtual server

   Under ?Relay restriction?, I have checked ?only the list below? and I have
given 10.123.124.x and 10.249.11.X subnet
   Also I have selected ?Allow all computers which successfully authenticates,
regardless of above list.

With these settings it is working as follows:

1. I can relay external mails from 10.123.124.x and10.249.11.x subnets with or
without selecting "my outgoing server requires authentication" on Outlook
express

2. If i remove 10.123.124.x and 10.249.11.x from "relay restriction" (as shown
in figure enclosed) then i cannot relay from these subnets even if i check "
myserver requires authentication" on Outlook express.

So i feel authentication part is not at all working. I even tried with "grant
or deny access for specific user" option but no luck. Can some help me on this.
I just want to allow users to realy who have valid username and password.

I am using Exchange 2003 with SP1. I actually tried to send a mail with a snap
shot but it seems the list is not accepting it.

Regards

Praveen R

http://mail.yahoo.com