SMTP -not send at all-stuck-1

  • From: mmmopo errer <hatem20072008@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:09:11 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,
I have something happen here, which is UPNORMAL.
We were having  workgroup with 25 users, and one WinProxy Box with 2 Nic cards
on it, and one connected to the LAN, and one connect to the ISP through VSAT
with Real IP.
No DNS internal at all, all of my users configured with Default gateway of the
internal IP of WinProxy , and also able to browse internet with WebProxy client
of WinProxy.
Also, the mail server which is hosted in USA, we were using POP3 on MS-outlook
behind the WinProxy- i mean in the configuration of outlook, we used to put the
IP-Address of WinProxy in the POP3 & SMTP of outlook, and we were able to send
and receive E-mails Normally.
the situation has been changed.
i create local domain with WinServer 2000 Advanced server SP4 with the DNS
I install Exchange server 2003 Standard edition & POP3 Downloader on it.
My Internal DNS was the Root.
Now i can see something here, which is , i am able to receive any E-mails from
any domain on exchange server account through the POP3 downloader, while when i
am trying to send any E-mails from exchange account , all of my E-mails Get
stuck in the Queue of SMTP Connector and unable to send it to outside.
The configuration of POP3 Downloader it self is to connect to the POPe server
which is the Internal WinProxy IP-Address with the user name and Password. ( as
the old configuration ).
The configuration of SMTP Virtual server it self - Not SMTP Connector - is to
send all of the E-mails to the Smarthost which is the Internal IP-Address of
The Configuration of SMTP - connector - is to Forward all of the E-mail through
this connector to this smarthost which is the Internal IP-Address of WinProxy.
we also configure this SMTP Connector to Request ETRN/TURN.
the Exchange server it self is configured with the DNS & Gateway and it working
Normally with the DNS it self, i mean by using NSLOOKP, i am able to see the
The DNS it self which is installed on the D/C which has this IP-Address ( is working normally.
the DNS it self is Root.
No any special configuration in the Zone it self like MX .
FOR WinProxy, it has 2 Nic Cards, the first one which is connected to our
Internal LAN , is configured only with the IP-address internal and with subnet
mask , and without any Internal DNS or external DNS on it at all, and even
there is no any DNS suffix .
the second one which is connected to the Satalite is configured with External
Even if we open the configuration of WinProxy, we will see its include only
inside it the external DNS which has been given to us from ISP, in order to let
my users or let the WinProxy do the name resolution without any Problem, that
is why we are able to browse internet.
Now, i think i have something missed or something issue with the DNS it self,
because as i understood the Smarthost is like man in the middel and your
exchange server is send all the e-mails to it and the Smarthost goes and ask
the Global DNS for where is the MX recorde for this E-mail.
But in my case, who is my Smarthost ? ( i think its the WinProxy).
what i did is :-
i delete the root and configure the  internal DNS to forward all the queries to
the internal IP-Address of WinProxy . this what i did, and from any client,
when i run Nslookup , i can see the internet address of any domain and i can
see the MX recorde of any domain , ( its doing     Non-authoritative answer ) -
the D/C which has the internal Nic, configured only with IP & DNS which is it
self, No Gateway, no webProxy Client on the DC. at all.

 when i am trying to see for example the MX recorde of our mail server from
internal DNS server,  which is ( ) its give me the following
result :-
> set q=mx
        primary name server =
        responsible mail addr =
        serial  = 42
        refresh = 15 (15 secs)
        retry   = 10 (10 secs)
        expire  = 86400 (1 day)
        default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)
BUT  if i made the same Request from the WinProxy which is connect to the
internet , i found that it gives me another Result :-
  > set q=mx
Non-authoritative answer:  MX preference = 10, mail exchanger =  MX preference = 20, mail exchanger =       internet address =       internet address =       internet address =       internet address =
is that meaning of some DNS Problem Issues or what ?
i want the Smarthost which is configured in the exchange to send the E-mails
i think this is because of the DNS issue, why, when the exchange server has an
E-mail, its looking first if its inside his orgnaization or not, if its not, it
will see if its configured to send the mail directly or not, if not it will see
the smarthost which i configured, and in my case its the WinProxy, so the
winProxy, should be able to receive the mail and forward it to its destination,
that what we are trying to implement .
 i am thinking of doing the following :-
1. on the internal NIC of WinProxy, i will add tje internal DNS, in order to
let the WinProxy Register Him Self in the DNS local, then the DNS it self will
able to know that this is his Smarthost.
why i am doing like that, because it seems to me that the exchange server cant
see at all the smarthost, its unable to find it at all , so i think its .
Can any one advice me what is going on , why there is a diffrient between the
result in nslookup on the internal DNS & External DNS ?
Please Advidce .