SMTP connectors on a per mailbox basis?

  • From: "Devin McBride" <devin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:04:08 -0700

Hey all,

Here at home, I am running SBS2003 and am having major issues emailing
certain domains (namely u.washington.edu, aol and the likes) as they
think I am spam due to my address being in a dynamic Comcast range.  I
am unable to get DSL in my area and Comcast does not provide any
business service in my area (only residential) - so getting an static ip
while keeping costs relatively low is not a possibility.

I have come to the conclusion I need to outsource my email hosting and
just use a pop3 downloader to grab everything (which is fine as I
already use GFI Mail Essentials for its antispam aspect).  Along with
this I also need to send out email through the new host.  I've checked
into multiple services, both full fledged web/email hosts as well as
simple email relay services.  Because internet service does go out now
and then in my area, I have decided to go with a full fledged hosting
solution so I don't lose anything if/when I go down.

This poses one problem.  Are there any software solutions that work with
exchange to act as a smtp connector on a per mailbox basis?  IE: since I
will have 2 mailboxes setup (one on the remote server, and then one
locally within exchange), as far as I can tell anyhow, SBS2003's SMTP
connector doesn't connect to individual accounts to send out mail, but
rather it connects to another smtp server to relay through it (correct
me if I'm wrong).  I really need a good solution for this and was hoping
someone could toss some ideas my way.

Thanks,

Devin