RE: SMTP Service

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:06:46 -0500

Hi Bob,
Go to and and you'll find some
great tutorials on SMTP relay.
Thomas W Shinder <>
ISA 2004 Beta - Get it now!
ISA Server and Beyond:
Configuring ISA Server:

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Bob Grommes [mailto:bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
        Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 10:30 PM
        To: [ExchangeList]
        Subject: [exchangelist] SMTP Service
        I have a W2K box that runs just the SMTP service.  It's used to
send out emails to a couple thousand subscribers to our reminder service
a couple of times a month.  These are emails put into the SMTP server's
queue by a custom application that generates them.  We don't actually
use Exchange or anything else on this box, it's just a stand-alone unit
isolated from our corporate network for safety's sake.
        I'm a bit of an email administration virgin, so forgive me if
this is a naive question ... but if I uncheck the box in the SMTP
service that allows anonymous logins, so that I'm not an open relay --
then any mail that gets sent to that box gets bounced.  How do I allow
emails to my own domain in, from all comers, without being an open
relay?  I want to catch repy-to's and bounces of the mails I'm sending.
        The bounce error says, "relay refused" but that wouldn't be a
relay, it'd be a delivery.
        I've Googled around but can't find anything that addresses my
        List Archives:
        World of Windows Networking:
        Leading Network Software Directory:
        No.1 ISA Server Resource Site:
        Windows Security Resource Site:
        Network Security Library:
        Windows 2000/NT Fax Solutions:
        You are currently subscribed to this Discussion
List as: tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx