RE: SMTP Relay Server and Mail Aliases

  • From: "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:09:52 -0500

Do not open SMTP to the entire internet people from other parts of the
world port scan companies looking for ways to send their spam without
getting caught, and the last thing your boss wants to hear is how you
opened SMTP rely to the internet which allows some bozo from another
country to use it has his spam rely point.

Simply open port 25 TCP to the net and have it point to your front end
Exchange, then make sure that only people on your network including
windows authentication users can use SMTP.

Andrew