[ExchangeList] Re: SMTP Load Balancer

  • From: "Byron \(Yahoo\)" <snail945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:16:59 -0700

my advise:

- buildout network redundancy - just consider it, even if it's a much cheaper
backup circuit. use bgp multihoming to advertise your public ip blocks.
otherwise investing in a complex interior would be moot if you lost local loop
- connectivity to your upstream provider.  perhaps it's a data center and you
have some additonal confidence in the local side.

- load-balancing - we implement and maintain most of the commercial
loadbalancers, windows NLB and also some open source.   use windows NLB if all
you need to do is basic 2 system and smtp. it's pretty easy to use. if you have
more advanced application needs, avialablity/performance awareness and larger
number of systems then consider a dedicated hardware solution.  We have recntly
started doing more work with coyote point LBs.  They are much cheaper than F5
or netscalar (but without many of the bells and wistles, more advanced
technologies).  They make the jump from server based to central based a little
more rational,  again, depending on your needs.

hit me off-line if you'd like to chat more re the network and LB thoughts.

byron
Byron Kennedy
Principal
kennedytechnologygroup