[ExchangeList] SMTP Load Balancer

  • From: "Mike French" <mike.french@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:52:12 -0500

Kinda off topic? But I have to ask:

Scenario:

Multiple Firewalls (5) on the perimeter

Single Large pipe to the INET

We need to load balance SMTP traffic to the Perimeter firewalls (SMTP is
the only concern), if firewall 1 is saturated then go to firewall 2 and
so on.

My question is, since I have little experience with load balancers,
anyone have a short list of vendors that they have had good luck with
that provides this type of load balancing? I would imagine this scenario
would be pretty simple. F5 BIG-IP for instance? Or is that over kill?
Just looking to narrow down a search without having to "Drink the
Kool-aid" from vendor contacts......

Mike French

Acclaim Networks
754 Port America Place