SMTP 25

  • From: "Morriz" <mauri.fox@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:58:28 -0700

If you are having problems getting inbound mail only, it is often either a
problem with your firewall, router or ISP.  Why don't you give us your
network layout (in mock up terms).  What kind of firewall are you running
and is it setup for inbound SMTP forwarding?  Is your internet connection
business class of service or a user class of service?  The reason I ask is
that many providers are now blocking inbound SMTP on their networks except
to their servers (forcing you to go to a business service at a higher
cost).
I have run into that problem here is the Seattle area several times in the
last year or two, especially with the larger ISP's.    You can also try
telneting to your server from a console on that server using the loopback
IP
address (telnet 127.0.0.1 25) this will force the machine to resolve to
itself without ever going out to your network.  If you can telnet to it,
the
problem is either with you network or you ISP (or a low chance of your
NIC)
is your problem.

That will at least give you a starting point to work from.

Let us know what you find.

--Joe

Hi joe!
And thanks for all the effort to try to help me.

I can start with my router/firewall, that is an linux router software
called freesco(www.freesco.org) that i have set up because it was simple
to run and dont needed hardisk or cd-rom.I have configured to portforward
to my webbserver thats in on an DMZ and mailserver that is on the same
network. Both have private ip adress configured, my webserver works fine,
but not my e-mail server(exchange)  My internet connection is a user class
of service. I think that you may be right on that the provider are
blocking inbound on their network.But if this is the case, can i bypass
this problem some how without spending a lot of money? Or is it
impossible?

Wen i do the local teleneting on my local ip 192.168.x.x on port 25 i get
this response: 220 ns02.domain.com (ISP Domain)  Microsoft ESMTP MAIL
Service, Version: 5.0.2195.2966 ready at
  Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:25:07 +0100

Is this ok?

Sow where do you think the problem might be?

Hope you got some more info to go on...

Thanks!

/Morriz