RE: SMTP 25

  • From: Joe Kinne <JoeK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:36:46 -0800

If you are having problems getting inbound mail only, it is often either a
problem with your firewall, router or ISP.  Why don't you give us your
network layout (in mock up terms).  What kind of firewall are you running
and is it setup for inbound SMTP forwarding?  Is your internet connection a
business class of service or a user class of service?  The reason I ask is
that many providers are now blocking inbound SMTP on their networks except
to their servers (forcing you to go to a business service at a higher cost).
I have run into that problem here is the Seattle area several times in the
last year or two, especially with the larger ISP's.    You can also try
telneting to your server from a console on that server using the loopback IP
address (telnet 127.0.0.1 25) this will force the machine to resolve to
itself without ever going out to your network.  If you can telnet to it, the
problem is either with you network or you ISP (or a low chance of your NIC)
is your problem.

That will at least give you a starting point to work from.

Let us know what you find.

--Joe