[ExchangeList] Re: SBS/Exch2003 - Multiple DBs

  • From: "Jason Sherry" <Jason.Sherry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:07:44 -0400

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------The standard edition of
Exchange, which comes with SBS, is limited to
one storage group with one mailbox store and one public store.  It is
also limited to 75GB.  I don't recall if this is a total limit or 75GB
for mailbox and another 75 for the public folder store.

To support more DBs and over 75GB you will need the enterprise edition
of Exchange.

I highly suggest you limit what data you migration over from the Linux
system, having an average mailbox size of 4.4GB is absurd!  To support
this amount of data is going to require good planning for
backup/restore, DR, and for your storage system.

While there is no "hard" limit to mailbox size in Exchange the general
recommendation is 200MB/user.  If users are working in cached mode in
Outlook their entire (4GB+ mailbox in your case) in stored locally in a
OST file.  If Outlook crashed or a user just shuts off their machine it
will take a VERY LONG time to check this file for errors, which cannot
be skipped, the next time Outlook starts up.  In addition, any type of
desktop search software (Lookout, Google, MSN, etc) will put a big load
on the server as it tries to index this amount of mail.

If most of the space is due to attachments then get them out of your
mail system and store them in SharePoint or a file share.

Jason Sherry - Pro Exchange http://www.theproexchange.com