RE: SBS 2003

  • From: "Taylor, George" <gtaylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:01:23 -0700

The Proliant 3000 is an older server, but for simple file and print
services it'll do just fine, it's dual processor capable and runs PIII
up to 600Mhz.  I would take a closer look at your drive space, 5GB is
just an odd number for total disk space. Sounds maybe like it's been
split into separate partitions or even arrays.  The 3000, if I remember
right, has 6 - 1.6inch drive slots or 8 - 1inch drive slots, either way
it just doesn't add up to a total of 5GB.  Being a non-profit school I'm
guessing the board is going to frown on you spending 10+ thousand on a
hotrod server, instead spend just a few grand for 5 drives, a mirrored
pair for the system and then a raid 5 for the data.

Just my 2cents,

George