[ExchangeList] Re: SAN Boot

  • From: "Tom Kern" <tpkern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:45:36 -0400

Did you have any issues with Clarion?
What were they, if I may ask?

Thanks

On 4/11/06, Taylor, George <gtaylor@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
We boot our IBM Blades, HS-20s and HS-40s from an IBM DS4500 and IBM DS4800.
Some Pros:
1. Replacing a server is a snap, specially if you can use your old HBA and don't have to change your WWN.
2. No need for a RAID controller for local drives.
3. Space, 14 Dual CPU servers in 7U of rack space
4. Power/KVM/Network cable managability
5. Can handle multiple drive failures and all systems stay running
6. No waste, when my OS can run in under 7gig why RAID 1 a pair of 36Gig drives.

Some Cons:
1. Swap File, we keep it locally, can't remember if that was our determination or manufaturer's recommendation.
2. HBA is a single point of failure, but then so is your RAID controller with local drives, never have had one fail.
3. Welllll, I'll think of something else later or someone else will I'm sure.

We moved away from EMC's Clarion's several years ago, so I can't comment on the performance of thier new stuff.  We've seen very good performance on the IBM FastTs.

George Taylor
Systems Programmer
Regional Health Inc.