[ExchangeList] Re: SAN Boot

  • From: "Michael B. Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:00:05 -0400

Dunno your hardware configuration.

Those points are somewhat valid, but replacing an HBA is no harder than
replacing a NIC. How often do you do it? I don't think I've ever
replaced an HBA (although I don't buy cheap ones, either) and if you are
meshed, then that argument is COMPLETELY specious.

Replacing a server is replacing a server. Easier with boot-from-LAN -
nothing to configure. J

If you've got LUNs, then use them. Word. What on earth are you paying
for? It to look pretty standing there?

A valid argument from them would be something that would cause you: a)
performance degradation, or b) downtime.

SANs are for storage consolidation and performance improvement. Why pay
the cost for a RAID controller plus at least two disks in the server to
boot with, when you've got the space, capacity, and performance on the
SAN?

IMHO. YMMV.