RE: Running one exchange 2003 server in a parant domain to service 2 child domains.

  • From: huw jenkins <huw_jenkins2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ExchangeList\]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:40:17 +0000 (GMT)

Thankyou for your prompt reply. Much appreciated!

OK I knew I'd have to go into "alot" more detail, so
here we go:

The two companies have about 30 staff in each, not big
companies. The companies are not related, in a
business sense apart from the ownership. However we
share resources and unfortunately that are limited. We
simply don't have enough servers for a mail server
each. We also share a server room and connectivety.

We also have to pool our support staff as we have to
cover 16hrs a day and we can't employ anymore staff.

Idealy we would use one GC in the top level domain
holding all the data for the child domains.

There will be no cross domain mailing lists.

We want to be able to administrate both child domains
from the parent domain. I beleive this would be the
most elegant solution. However I am unsure if/how we
would be able to use AD on the parent domain to
control the domains of the child domains.

I hope this helps to explain why it has been set-up
like that.

Regards

Huw