[ExchangeList] Routing, policies, domains - trouble

  • From: Sture Lygren <sture@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:48:24 +0200

First a description of our setup here:

Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 Server.
2003 server is running AD and is acting as PDC for our domain (say

MX for somedomain.com is set to be mail-gw.somedomain.com. This is a
linux-server running postfix. Postfix is configured to forward all mail
using virtual mailboxes to our exchange server (so that mail to
someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx is forwarded to

Now - trouble is that I'm not able/allowed to configure exchange to
create a recipient policy for SMTP:@exchangeserver.somedomain.com. The
error says 'This domain address cannot be used for a recipient policy
because it matches the name of an Exchange server'. And - without this
setting mail is not accepted by the exchange server (exchange complains
with 'relay denied for exchangeserver.somedomain.com')

I expect many of you have a similar setup and has been able to solve
this - question is how?

Thanks in advance!

Sture Lygren
Computer Systems Administrator