Routing Engine is stalling

  • From: "Shevill, Mark M SITI-ITDCE22" <Mark.Shevill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:31:20 +0100

    Would appreciate some thoughts on this.

Currently I am seeing a large number of servers having problems with the
routing engine. The routing engine appears to hang. This is the main
fault but the symptom causes NDR's to exchange 5.5 servers but not to
E2K servers. The theory is below.

When an email is sent via standard SMTP, Outlook looks up the route
before it leaves the inbox. When the message is sent it leaves the inbox
already knowing what the route is that it is going to take.

When a message is sent via SMTP to a recipient who's target address is
X400 then the same process occurs except that at each server the
Advanced Queueing engine makes a "get_next_hop"call to mtaqueue.dll
which is the MTA's interface to the routing engine.

On each occasion that we have had this issue then the Routing Engine on
that particular server has been hung and as a result of this the
get_next_hop call times out and so no results are displayed and hence
the NDR.

My questions are as follows:

    Has anyone experienced this before.

    Of those that have are you on E2K SP3 with Post Sp3 rollup?

Does your exchange boxes also suffer from a number of faults that can be
attributed to secure channel failure?

Mark Shevill
IMG Messaging Technical Lead

Tel: +44 161 435 8709 Fax: +44 161 933 3502 Other Tel: +44 7932 625510
Email: Mark.Shevill@xxxxxxxxx
Internet: <>