RE: Restore and archive project

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 06:50:17 -0800

> I'm a little confused as to whether this is for past email or is it an
> ongoing requirement?

This is for past. For current/ongoing, and new process/procedure is being
developed with approval from lawyers.

> The risk you take of not restoring/extracting for each tape is that you'll
> have something in one day's tape and not in the next one.  If that's
> acceptable, you could conceivably restore a week's worth at a time and
> extract.  If not, then each tape will have to be restored, played,
> extracted, and then the next tape restored, played, extracted, etc. to
> ensure you get the real data.  You'll very likely get dups, but that's to
> be expected.

Having to do the restore/extract restore/extract restore/extract is going to
be time consuming and that is what we are looking to reduce.

> Putting the data into a database for easier searching, reduction of dups,
> etc would be a good solution if you plan on doing this more than once.
> Otherwise, it'll be hard for them to wade throught that much data.

Can you expand on this idea please?

John Tolmachoff
Engineer/Consultant/Owner
eServices For You