RE: Restore and archive project

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:57:23 -0500

I'm a little confused as to whether this is for past email or is it an
ongoing requirement?

The risk you take of not restoring/extracting for each tape is that you'll
have something in one day's tape and not in the next one.  If that's
acceptable, you could conceivably restore a week's worth at a time and
extract.  If not, then each tape will have to be restored, played,
extracted, and then the next tape restored, played, extracted, etc. to
ensure you get the real data.  You'll very likely get dups, but that's to be
expected.

Putting the data into a database for easier searching, reduction of dups,
etc would be a good solution if you plan on doing this more than once.
Otherwise, it'll be hard for them to wade throught that much data.

Al