Removal of first W2K Server

  • From: "Chris McNally" <cmcnally@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:29:29 -0800

Greetings all,
I have been in the process of removing the first server on our domain,
in addition to being the root box it was also the first Exchange server.
I have successfully moved Exchange to another machine. In preparation
for taking the original server offline  I have transferred all FSMO
roles. Now when I shut down that original server everything seems
functional except logins are a little slower and, most worrisome,
replication takes some 21000ms with the original box offline compared to
app. 110ms when the box is online. I repeated the experiment repeatedly
over the past few days and the results are very consistent. I have
global catalogs available on the new root box as well as on the
redundant DC.
Seems I'm missing something but I can't tell what, any clues where I
should be looking?
On a  more topical     note; the exchange move is pretty solid but two
quirks. When I take the original box offline there is the odd user whose
Outlook will freeze up. I discovered if I have them log onto OWA and
then back to Outlook the problem is resolved and does not return next
time I take the server down. All users have been rehomed for several
weeks. I think I understand how this little maneuver fixes things but am
curious as to the cause. One thing I have noticed; in Sites and Services
under the original Exchange box server NTDS settings there is an
apparently empty folder called "Exchange" while under the new Exchange
server NTDS there is no such folder.
Any thoughts?