RE: Relocation of SMTP Service to a UNIX box

  • From: "adrian bolzan" <abolzan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:32:06 +1100

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you wish:

Outgoing mail:
1. From exchange server to UNIX box to internet
2. mail sent by your users to other users should stay local.

--> Just set the UNIX box as the Smart Host in Exchange (see another
post on details).

Incoming mail:
1. all incoming mail to be sent to the UNIX box outside your firewall
2. Any mail destined for your company should be forwarded to the
Exchange server
3. Any mail not destined for your company should be rejected (disallow
relaying)

--> (a) you should never place servers running critical services such as
email outside your firewall.  Place the unix server in your DMZ.
--> (b) set your MX records in DNS to point to the external address of
your UNIX server.  By that I mean, in your zonefile, the highest
priority MX record should be the external address of your UNIX server.
Your firewall should forward all incoming SMTP to your UNIX box.
--> (c) your UNIX box should host the mail server, my preference is
postfix over sendmail, and this server should accept all mail for your
domains
--> (d) configure Postfix to forward all mail destined for your domains
to your exchange server, whilst rejecting all other destinations (using
transport maps)

I cannot stress Point (a) above too much.  The UNIX box should not be
outside your firewall.

Postfix over sendmail: easy to configure, more secure.  You can have a
postfix box up and running in about two hours, without much trouble.

Cheers,
Adrian