RE: Relocating Exchange DBs for 2000 Standard - for real

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:31:52 -0800

> My question:
> Do I need to relocate the log and system files as well...

I would.

Since your new virtual drive is about 68GB available, I would split that
into 3 partitons. 32 GB for Exchange DBs, 10 GB for Exchange Logs, and
balance for what ever.

Yes, Exchange Standard is limited to 16 DB. But to do a recovery with a 16GB
DB, you need 16GB free space available.

Also, you might want to take some time and think about your drives, as
blanket RAID5 is not the best.

For the DB files, yes RAID5 is great. But for log files (and page file and
any high writing files/partitions) you should stay away from RAID5 instead
using RAID1 or RAID1+0.

The reason is on RAID5 you not only have to write the data, but you have to
determine which spindle the data goes on, you have to calculate the check
data, and you have to write the check data on parity spindle.

John T
eServices For You