Relaying Problem question - still fighting it!

  • From: "KEN MORRIS" <KMORRIS@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:31:57 -0400

Our server has been compromised by an outside session using an internal
name/password, and our E2K server queues keep on filling up. I have had up to
400 queues created over night and some of the queues can have well over 600
messages each waiting to be sent (I have frozen most of my queues as a
precaution). These relays are being set up after we are closed.
I am curious to see if anyone can answer the question of who would have the
rights to create a remote session to relay? Does it have to be an admin
account or can it be a standard user?

I have eliminated the Fire Wall by placing it on the restrictions for the
SMTP. and have unchecked the allow all to relay. So I am stumped as to how
they are still being able to set up the relaying. My next plan is a forced
network wide password change, after that...... I have to come up with a "Plan
I am having the problem of trying to convince the powers that be, that all
user accounts need to have their passwords changed in order to eliminate this
hack. I am also recommending that our Domain Admin accounts be made into
guest accounts and new Domain Admin accounts be created. Does anyone have any
other suggestions and or reading that I could do. So far I have found very
little on this type of attack.
Thanks for your help!