RE: Relay permissions error ...

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 07:57:35 -0700

I am not biased, far from it. I am a small business myself, one man shop. I
wear the following hats: Owner, Account, Consultant, Engineer, Cable
Installer, e-mail admin, Network Admin, firewall admin, Tier 1 support, Tier
2 support, Tier 3 support, etc. In and amongst all this, I do my best to
help others to pay back all the help I get from others.

But I am biased in that I hate spam and fully realize the cost it places
upon us daily.

The inhearant problem with DNS blacklists is that not one is perfect, or
even close to it. Each and every one has False Positives and each and every
one will not catch every piece of spam. This can therefore lead to other
problems, such as the one you are experiencing. Do you know it has been
proven that a popular DNS Blacklist has repeatedly listed a major
financially related company because of people subject to their actions
complained about them? The name of the company listed, Dunn & Bradstreet.
That caused tremendous problems for a major corporation that received many
messages from D&B hourly as part of business, and would find itself suddenly
not receiving them. Now, that company realizes what a battle with spam
really is.

Relying upon a DNS blacklist to find and stop spam is like saying all teen
ages do not know how to drive. That is a blanket statement and is wrong.

Fighting the war on spam is not an easy one, and can not be done with a
simple single approach.

You say you cramped for money. So are most of us. Now maybe your companies
experience with Spam is better than 99% of us, but dealing with spam does
cost the company one way or another.

If you are cramped for money on the war on spam, have you investigated other
options? There are ways of fighting it without spend large amounts of money.

Example, I and others, using our software and our infrastructure and our
experience and our combined knowledge offer services to others for a
reasonable rate because we know not every company can afford to fight the
war on their own.

Now, like I have posted before, maybe we should all work together to find a
better solution to a problem rather than trying to find a quick fix.

BTW, I do not relay on keywords either.

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA
Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You