RE: Relay Messaging

  • From: "Elias, Delores" <DELIAS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:14:38 -0400

I used an article that gave me instructions on how to close the relay.
After I did that, I tested it using a telnet session, did a "mail to:"
command and a "recpt from:" command and it returned a "550 message that said
relaying was prohibited".  The article said if I received that message, then
relaying was not on.

Someone else on this list mentioned that it might be a "bcc" issue, but it
isn't.  The user wasn't even aware that the message was being sent.  I
checked his rules to see if he had done something crazy in there, but no.
In fact, the rules he did have were unchecked so they shouldn't have been
used.

My manager just sent me the header info, and it says its from our ISP
(something about a backupmx), then it also says it's from the user.  I guess
I'll have to call them and see if they can shed any light on this.

I'm looking into the Microsoft articles that were mentioned as well.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.