Rejected Email to msexchange.org & Re: Mailbox sizes

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:53:06 -0500

Anyone else using GMail? If so, are your responses to questions posted
on the mailing list rejected. I probably cannot repeat why the email
was rejected because it will be rejected again.

In the meantime, Lloyd, here is my response to you:

Lloyd:

1) My research shows the industry average was around 100MB. However,
ours is a bit above that, especially users who receive large PDF's on
a regular basis.

2) Teach users how to properly manage their mailboxes with the Mailbox
Cleanup Tool for example. This is not a one time thing, either. Make
it a monthly activity.

3) Their mailboxes are designed to store email, not attachments or
files; that's what file
systems are for. Have your users remove and save their attachments
(making a note as to where the attachment is) to a mapped drive on the
server, where they should be storing their files.

4) You would be surprised how much space joke emails take up,
specifically the ones with dozens of images and movies attached. They
should be removed from the server immediately, unless your
organization wants to pay for that extra storage.

My research shows the average email message is 3.5KB in size, so
based on that with 75MB of email stored on the server, you would have
room for over 21,000 email messages.

I have users with 100's of huge (8MB +) attachments. These are
killing their mailbox quota, so I educate them on how to store these
files to the file system, rather than the email system.

A Microsoft employee working in the Exchange department, was asked
approx. how long to restore large DB's, and they responded something
along the lines of... For every GB of data (1024 MB) it adds APPROX. 1
hour to the time it would take to restore the system after a software
or hardware failure. So, these users who insist they need massive
mailboxes, they can explain to the President and management why they
are not able to access their email for several more hours during a
system failure.

I could ramble on, but I think you get my point.

..D